The Tutoring Center provides free, individualized tutoring to UMD students in a collaborative, supportive environment. Trained, qualified peer tutors offer one-to-one and group sessions to foster academic success in various courses and disciplines.
Awards & Achievements
- 2016 - In the 2016 Ruffalo Noel Levitz Student Satisfaction Inventory (survey question 32) tutoring services show up as one of UMD’s strengths (high importance and high satisfaction) with significantly higher satisfaction vs comparison institutions.
- 2014 – Outstanding Tutoring Program in the nation at the national conference of the Association for the Coaching and Tutoring Profession (UMD News Release)
- 2013 – UMD Tutoring Center passed the 300,000 tutorials mark
- 2001 – "Best Practice" by the Minnesota Quality Gold Award from the Minnesota Council for Quality
- 1998 – UMD Tutoring Center passed the 100,000 tutorials mark
- 1992 – Minnesota Monthly magazine “Minnesota’s Ten Best Ideas”
Our tutors are fellow UMD students who have met certain criteria specified by the departments for which they tutor. Tutors undergo a 2-credit training course in which they learn educational theories and tutoring strategies.
Staff & Faculty
Tutoring Center Co-Coordinator
The tutoring program is housed under the Academic Writing & Learning Center (AWLC). Please see UMD’s organizational chart for more information