The Tutoring Center offers free academic assistance in a diverse learning community to UMD students enrolled in a wide range of high-risk and high-demand courses, while providing an opportunity for high-achieving undergraduate students to learn and develop tutoring and leadership skills.
Awards & Achievements
Over 6,500 tutors have participated in UMD’s credit-based peer tutoring program, which has documented over 365,000 tutorials since its inception in 1987. The Program has been certified since 1994 by the College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA), and tutors can earn three levels of lifetime, international tutor certification while tutoring in the Center.
- 2016 - In the 2016 Ruffalo Noel Levitz Student Satisfaction Inventory (survey question 32) tutoring services show up as one of UMD’s strengths (high importance and high satisfaction) with significantly higher satisfaction vs comparison institutions.
- 2014 – Outstanding Tutoring Program in the nation at the national conference of the Association for the Coaching and Tutoring Profession (UMD News Release)
- 2013 – UMD Tutoring Center passed the 300,000 tutorials mark
- 2001 – "Best Practice" by the Minnesota Quality Gold Award from the Minnesota Council for Quality
- 1998 – UMD Tutoring Center passed the 100,000 tutorials mark
- 1992 – Minnesota Monthly magazine “Minnesota’s Ten Best Ideas”
Staff & Faculty
- Tutoring Center (218) 726-6248
- Jade Sandbulte, Tutoring Center Co-Coordinator (218) 726-6998
- Jenna Trenberth, Tutoring Center Co-Coordinator (218) 726-7064
- Jill Jenson, Director, AWLC (218) 726-8242
- Patrick Eidsmo, Instructor (218) 726-6074
- Anna Gavrilova, Assistant Professor (218) 726-8724
- Sam Shanks, Assistant Professor (218) 726-8944